8/21/13

What a Night!!!

I was really hoping that with the full moon last night that it would put me into labor.  However, no such luck.  It did get us a trip to the hospital though.  The whole family went on a walk last night in our neighborhood.  I've been doing a ton of that lately to help encourage Little Cub to make an entrance.  Well, when we got back to the house, Little Bear got out of the stroller and was roaming around as usual.  He was walking into the garage and then I heard him cry so hard.  I looked down and saw my baby in such tears.  He had tripped and hit his forehead on the edge of the mower.  When I picked him up, I knew immediately he would need stitches.  There was a good size gash in his forehead.  We grabbed some paper towels, got our stuff and loaded him up.  He cried for a while, but was talking and acting normal before we even got to the hospital which was about 15 minutes away.  We got checked in and were taken back to a room for them to get all necessary info.  Then, they soon moved us to an exam room.  They said they doctor would be in shortly.  Well, that was a lie.  We waited probably 45 min before the doctor came in to see us.  He did his assessment, and quickly put the orders into the computer.  He said a nurse would be right in to start things.  Well, that didn't happen either.  Little Bear was totally done with being confined in a tiny room and we were frustrated with the long wait.  Being a PICU nurse, I'm used to things happening quickly.  So, I went to the nurses' desk and saw quite a few people just sitting there which didn't make me happy at all.  So, I asked what the delay was since the orders were in and let them know that Little Bear was tired of being cooped up.  Besides, it was way past his bedtime and it was showing.  They fed me some line about getting really busy.  I asked if I could have the topical cream to put on that needed 30 minutes to work since I'm an RN.  Well, all they gave me were some toys for Little Bear to play with.  That actually worked.  Finally after over 30 min of receiving orders, a nurse finally came in to give him Tylenol and put the topical numbing cream on.  Then came more waiting, which Little Bear was so over-done with.  But, the numbing cream waiting time was finally up and the nurse and doctor came in.  The nurse and I wrapped Little Bear up in a blanket so he wouldn't squirm around and surrounded his head with towels.  The doctor irrigated the wound several times to make sure it was totally clean.  He then started stitching up the gaping hole.  I sang some songs and tried to comfort Little Bear as much as possible.  The doctor put in a total of 6 dissolvable stitches and then topped it off with some antibiotic ointment.  Once we unwrapped Little Bear, he calmed down and I was able to really comfort him and get him calm.  The nurse came back in and gave us our instructions.  From the time of check in till we walked out of the ER, was 3 hours.  Ugghhh!!!!!!!  They did give Little Bear a slushy for being such a trooper.  However, after a couple sips, he was done so Papa Bear and Mama Bear finished it.  Little Bear fell asleep on the way home and I had him changed and in his bed by 11:00.  He slept till almost 8:00 this morning and acted like nothing had ever happened.  What a tough boy!  I think I would still be complaining.  He was definitely ready for his nap a bit on the earlier side than normal.  And, he's taken a 3 hour nap so far which has allowed me the opportunity to nap and write this post.  Here are some pictures from the event and even from this morning.  I'm so thankful that he didn't get hurt any worse than he was.  I'm hoping that the stitches are good enough that he doesn't have a bad scar on his cute forehead.  Time will tell.

Notice the large hole in the middle of his forehead.  It went pretty deep as well

All stitched up

Stitched up and tears drying

Woke up this morning and wanted to eat right away - chocolate chip pancakes

Having fun swinging

No comments :

Post a Comment