8/28/12

2 Boo Boos in 1 Day


So, Little Bear is now at that age where he wants to move all over. So, he pulls himself up all the time now.  In our living room I have a plastic crate where I keep his toys. Well, he was playing there yesterday and fell over. He really started crying. It took me a while to figure out if he hurt himself. I found a small break in his skin above his right eye. He recovered quickly. Later in the day he was crawling around. I stepped away briefly to let the dog out. When I turned around he was heading up the stairs. I quickly ran to him. When I did, he paused, turned around and started heading back down. His left forehead hit the marble tile floor just as I got to him. I scooped him up and he was balling!!! I felt horrible! I myself got very shaky and started crying.  Working where I do - Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, I see kids come in all the time with head injuries from falls.  I started freaking out that Little Bear could have a head bleed.  There is a pediatric emergency room just a couple of minutes from our house.  I wondered if I should take him there to be examined.  Should I keep him awake (it was almost naptime).  I did a quick neuro check myself and everything seemed fine.  So, I went ahead and put him down for his nap.  The monitor we have has a motion sensor so I knew that if something happened during his nap I would know right away.  After he was down, I texted a couple of friends, one is a pediatrician, and the other was CC.  They assured me kids are resilient and he would be fine.    I then laid down for my own nap to calm my nerves.  He ended up taking a nice 2 hour nap.  When he woke up, he was happy.  He nursed just fine and was making me laugh.  You could barely even see the red mark on his forehead.  It's like nothing even happened.  I am relieved.  I'm sure there are going to be many more bumps and bruises along the way as Little Bear grows up.  We still have some more baby-proofing to do - especially around the fireplace (it's brick all around).
The gate Mark put up last night so Little Bear won't fall again.
Toy Box where first injury happened



If you look closely, you can see the cut/red area above his right eye

No comments :

Post a Comment