2/27/12

Happy Birthday Aunt Judy

This past weekend, we went to visit my Aunt Judy in Wichita.  She just turned 79.  This last Fall, she was diagnosed with uterine cancer.  She was to go a complete hysterectomy at the end of December.  When they did the surgery, the doctors realized that the cancer had spread all over her abdomen and into her colon.  When she found out the results of the surgery, she decided not to do any treatment.  She instead went to a skilled nursing facility in hospice care.  My aunt is truly amazing.  At the time of the surgery, she was only given 4-6 weeks to live.  Well, she's surpassed that for a reason I think.  She's had a tremendous impact on the nurses that care for her.  As a nurse, I feel like I'm supposed to be the one that has an impact on my patients.  The nurses sometimes "fight" to take care of her because she is such a joy to be around.  She is definitely letting the light of God shine through her even in the midst of such pain.  Aunt Judy got to meet Little Bear just days before her surgery.  She lit up and loved holding him.  I thought that would be the last time we'd ever see her.  I certainly didn't think she would make it to her birthday.  So, when my mom told me about the party they had planned for her, I knew we should go.  My mom didn't tell my aunt we were coming.  It was a total surprise!!  When we walked into the room, my aunt just lit up.  I walked over to her and gave her a hug.  She said thanks, but all she wanted was to hold Little Bear.  We spent several hours with her. She is truly an amazing woman.  God has gifted her.  Despite the fact that it was a very long and exhausting day and Little Bear didn't get much rest, the trip was worth it.  God bless you Aunt Judy.
Great Aunt Judy & Little Bear

Grandpa & Little Bear



No comments :

Post a Comment