2/16/12

To Nap or Not to Nap???

As a first time mom I'm trying to figure out the right way to do things for Little Bear.  I really don't want to "mess him up."  Overall, he is a great baby.  He's not fussy unless he's hungry, tired, or bored.  Other than passing gas, he hasn't had gas issues that cause him pain.  At night he goes to bed easily since he's rather tired.  He's now sleeping an average of 5 hours straight - yea!  So, here's my dilemma:  he doesn't go down for naps very well.  The only way I've been able to get him to take a good 2 hour nap is if I'm carrying him.  Now, there are many people that say this is a great parenting technique.  However, I'm going back to work in 4 1/2 weeks and want to help CC out by getting Little Bear to nap better.

I've been rocking/bouncing him to sleep while using a pacifier.  Once he's really asleep, I lay him down in the bouncy seat or in his rock-n-sleeper that he sleeps in at night.  I've even turned on the humidifier in the room to create white noise.  However, soon after I put him down, he wakes up.  I try bouncing/rocking him, but he just doesn't want to sleep.  I pick him back up and I can get him to sleep.

I've tried putting a blanket that I've carried around with him.  I even put him in the swing with the blanket, vibration, and swing motion.  DOES NOT WORK.  Even now as I'm trying to write this post, it's taken me an hour to get him to sleep.  He eats every 3 hours.  So, if he sticks to this schedule, he'll wake up in 30-40 minutes.  Ughh!  Now he is only 10 1/2 weeks old, so I'm not sure if this is what other babies his age do or not?  Someone mentioned that since I'm a nurse, work 12 hour shifts, and am constantly moving around all day, that that is what Little Bear prefers - movement.  Makes sense to me.

I would like to be able to get stuff done without always wearing him.  I really do like holding and cuddling him though since I know this time in his life won't last forever.  I want to snuggle him as much as possible.  Anyway, I'm torn and would appreciate any suggestions anyone has to offer.  As I side note, when I go back to work, I'll only be working 2 days a week.  They are 12 hour shifts though.  So for 5 days, I get to be with my Little Bear. Should I then just wear him to nap since I'll be with him more days than I'm away from him or should I teach him to nap without me since he'll be with CC or my husband 2 days a week.  Inquiring minds want to know.
Slept 2 hours

Slept 30-45min
Slept 30-45min
Slept 30-45 min

No comments :

Post a Comment