2/11/12

Micah's Grand Entrance

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has expectations that often don't get met.  I have numerous examples of how I've planned or expected things to happen a certain way only to be "disappointed."  As humans, our minds are so finite, while God is infinite.  We see only pixels, while God can view the entire picture.  I often wish I could see the big picture.  But, if I did, where would my need for faith and trusting God be?  Micah's birth story is yet another situation that I had planned out, but ended up being completely the opposite.

Despite the fact that I am a pediatric ICU nurse and push drugs all day, I have a huge fear of drugs when it comes to me and my body.  I have always had such an intense fear of epidurals because of the bad side effects I've hear of people having.  So, when I was deciding on a birth plan, I wanted to have a natural birth so I could steer clear of my fears.  How many women before me gave birth without drugs and made it through?  My mom one was of those women.  So, in an effort to make sure I had all the tools possible to achieve my desire, Mark and I enrolled in a 12 week natural birthing class.

We both learned so much and felt very empowered to achieve our wish.  The thing we appreciated about this class was that while they emphasized natural birth (without drugs or interventions), they also stated that the ultimate goal was "healthy baby, healthy mom."  That is definitely something Mark and I agreed with whole-heartedly!  Knowing that often my plans are different from God's for my life, I kept a healthy perspective on our desires.  The class also emphasized good nutrition.  I did well at getting 80-100 grams of protein per day with a well-balanced diet.

My due date was November 27, 2011.  My hope is that I would make it past Thanksgiving.  I really wanted to maintain our family tradition of shopping for our Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving.  Well, we were able to do that, plus I made it to the due date.  Four days after my due date I had an appointment.  My blood pressure was way too high.  So, I was admitted to the hospital that night and the induction began.  Once the pitocin was started early the next morning(Dec. 2), things got intense.  I labored hard for 17 hours, without much progress.  My provider was concerned and stated that things might progress if I was able to really relax by getting the epidural.  I hurt so bad and was so exhausted that I agreed to the epidural.  The first one never worked, the second one caused sharp pain down one leg, but the third one finally kicked in.  I then I had a big drop in my blood pressure and got extra fluid and medicine.  24 hours after the induction, I finally got to push.  However, with one of those pushes, Little Bear didn't handle it too well.  My provider mentioned several times that she thought the baby's head was too big to fit through the birth canal.  She explained what could happen if we continued with a vaginal birth.  Mark and I both felt that the risks weren't worth it.  So we agreed to the c-section.  Little Bear was finally born on Saturday December 3 at 7:55am.  He came out screaming.  What a sweet sound it was to my ears.  It turns out his head was turned sideways in the canal.  Despite the fact that almost nothing went according to our birth plan, one thing did go right.  Mark and I got our healthy baby.  God had answered our prayers.  We truly are blessed.

Our sweet Little Bear
My first time meeting Little Bear


First family picture

What a sweet pic

1 comment :

  1. Oh Lynee -- I can relate! I wanted to be drug free as well, but after a long hard 30 hour labor, a c-section was necessary. The nurses kept reminding me of my goal: healthy mama, healthy baby. And that was achieved! So glad that was your case too. Congratulations on your sweet baby boy!

    ReplyDelete